Naturally, I’ve joined up with a third diet bet. April, what are you thinking (you might be asking)? Well, this time it’s going to be different, I really believe it!
Here’s how this official Diet Bet works (here’s the official link):
- You go to the Diet Bet website and sign up.
- You pay the “buy in” which is $20.
- 1-2 days before the game begins, you submit a photo of yourself on a scale and a photo of the scale showing your starting weight. These photos are NOT published or shared anywhere!
- In this version, you have 28 days to lose 4% of your body weight.
- At the end of the game, you submit another photo of yourself and your weight on the scale (if you meet or exceed your weight loss goal)
- Everyone who meets or exceeds their weight loss goal splits the “pot” of money evenly.
- Diet bet keeps a cut, unless so many people are successful that the “win” is less than your buy-in. In that case, you are guaranteed to get at least what you paid in, as long as you meet the weight loss goal.
This is different from my previous tries because they were not through the official diet bet site and had the payout tiered based on the top # of losers as a percent of weight loss. So, you could meet your personal weight loss goal, and if someone else did better, you might not win at all. I had a lot of problem with motivation when I’d have a week where I had a good loss, but it still wasn’t enough because other people did better. It didn’t motivate me to lose more, it made me want to give up.
This Diet Bet structure gives the same payout to someone who loses 4% or 8% during the period. As long as you meet the base goal, you win! So you’re competing with yourself, not your fellow diet betters! I think this difference is going to help a lot.
The other thing that will help is that this Diet Bet is being hosted by my friend, Patty at No Guilt Life. She’s rounded up a lot of fun friends and partners in crime who will provide tons of motivation, humor and encouragement.
I’m hoping that if I’m successful with this four week diet bet, I’ll find another to join. They also have a version that requires losing 10% of your weight in six months which sounds good as a next step.
If you’re looking for some motivation to kick-start your weight loss, check this Diet Bet out and take the plunge. I’ve already signed up and am looking forward to trying it out and getting my weight loss plan in motion! Click here to take the first step!