Lots of bigger races allow you to check a bag before you line up to run and usually you’re not too far from your car, so your checked bag can contain just a few essentials like car keys and chocolate almond milk.
For a runDisney race, what to put in your checked bag (or the bag you have your friends and family bring to meet you at the finish line) is a little more complicated. If you’re planning to go straight from the finish line into the parks either for an after-party at one of the night races (Wine & Dine, Tower of Terror or Expedition Everest) or just to have fun after a morning race, the contents of that bag can make or break your post-race experience.
For Wine & Dine, my husband will be meeting me at the finish line with a bag containing:
- Comfy hiking shoes
- A clean pair of compression socks
- A full clean outfit – t-shirt, running skirt, underwear, bra (this is what I didn’t have after PHM and I wished I had) (trust me on the underwear tip!)
- Jacket if it is cold (unlikely but you never know)
- Chapstick (if I don’t carry it in the race)
- Chocolate almond milk
- Wet wipes/baby wipes for a quick clean up
- Bandaids/blister bandaids
- Money, credit card, ID
- Gallon sized zip lock bags to put my stinky running clothes in
I don’t think I need any snacks since we’ll be having lots of treats at the after-party. OK, what am I missing?