Depending on your personal shape, running bra shopping can be easy or very very difficult. I’ve found that the bigger the bra, the more difficult it is to find the right match. It’s probably because those of us with larger attributes tend to require more of our running bras.
I’ve tried a lot of brands and my biggest take aways are:
- Try them on in person. Each style fits differently and it’s critical to make sure it fits properly. Too tight and it’s uncomfortable. Too loose and you get chafing and lack of necessary support.
- Check to make sure no areas feel rough or irritating. Ten miles into a run, that annoyance can turn into real damage and pain.
- Test drive a few different styles. I’m not a fan of underwires or much padding in my running bras, but that’s just my preference. I cannot stand the kind that you have to pull on over your head, but some people hate the ones that have hooks on the back. You won’t know if you don’t try.
- Stock up when you find that perfect fit. Like running shoes, running bras tend to get discontinued or “tweaked” from time to time. If you love a particular style and size, buy extras!
- Take care of them. Lingerie bags and line drying will extend the life of your running bras. They aren’t cheap, so make them last as long as possible!