I usually run by myself, so I don’t have too many running pet peeves, so I’m going to share instead what would make my running paths better. If I could wave my magic wand and just make the paths and trails perfect for runners, here’s what it would take:
- Water fountains (with cold fresh non-funky-tasting water) every mile.
- A beautiful tree canopy that arches over the trail or path so it’s shady no matter what time of day it is when I drag my behind out the door.
- Enough people that I don’t worry about my safety, but not so many people that it’s crowded.
- A public, clean, open bathroom every three miles (ok ok, every 1.5 miles).
- Footing that is asphalt or limerock or packed dirt with no big puddles.
- Mostly flat, but with an optional hill section.
I’m at the beach this week, so I’m having a great time with morning runs and walks along the gorgeous Atlantic Ocean.